7 Best Remote HR Software of 2023 (Ranked and Reviewed)
When it comes to remote work, one of the most essential software for companies that want to succeed is a sound HR system.
With HR being responsible for maintaining employee records, using payroll software to pay employees, ensuring compliance tools are in place and up to date, giving employee training for new software implementations, and much more, the right tools can really make or break an organization.
There are also various components that complement an HR system to make it more effective.
These include HRIS systems and tools that focus on employee performance and development and PEO companies that can provide comprehensive employee and management solutions.
With that said, remote HR software is a new and upcoming category of software that can potentially change the way companies operate.
With more companies having workers who are not physically present in an office, it is essential to have a system that can manage these employees just as well as if they were right in front of you.
Whether you want to manage remote workers in-house or use an HR outsourcing company to do it for you, knowing what’s available is the first step.
In this article, I will go over the best remote HR software based on its features, pricing, reviews, and more.
Let’s get right into it.
What Are The Best Remote HR Software?
The following are my top picks for the best remote HR software.
1. Sage HR.
Best Overall For Remote HR.
Sage HR is one of the best overall remote HR software systems because it offers a comprehensive suite of tools.
The ability to upload an employee database makes it easy to keep track of employee records, and the global payroll functionality ensures that employees get paid on time.
In addition, the reporting features give you insights into how your remote team is performing.
You can also get valuable insights into your team with the help of performance tracking tools and compliance features.
Creating custom reports and graphs that give you an overview of your team’s performance is also a breeze with Sage HR.
- Leave management can easily be automated with Sage HR, and employees can quickly request and track their leave days.
- Timesheets are a breeze to fill out and submit, and you can quickly see who is working on what project at any given time.
- Shift scheduling lets you know when an employee is working so you can easily keep track of hours.
- You can also get an overview of all employee expenses and create custom reports to see where your money is going.
- The reporting feature is great for getting insights into your team’s performance, and the mobile app makes it easy to stay connected while on the go.
Get notifications when items require your attention and quickly find the information you need with Sage’s search function.
It’s also easy to get the job done through the mobile app.
The pricing depends on the number of employees in the company.
What I Like/Dislike About Sage HR
- The ability to have real-time insight into the global workforce is excellent.
- Users can do everything in a centralized spot without the need for multiple tools.
The task of building and displaying teams is not the easiest thing to accomplish.
- Star ratings to surveys help give more structure to feedback
- A new look and feel for email templates means they’re easier on the eyes and take less time to create
Best For Accurate Remote HR.
OnPay gives you all you need to get an accurate overview of your remote team and ensure everything is working as it should be.
Never miss a milestone in your employee’s development with the help of performance tracking tools, and get alerted when something changes with the compliance features.
You can also use this software as your remote team scale, with the ability to add more users as your company grows.
Various integrations make it easy to connect OnPay with the other software you use, and a customer support team that is always on hand to help you with any issues you may have.
- Monthly payroll runs ensure that you never miss a payment
- The software handles tax payments and filings, so you don’t have to worry about it
- Pay using a debit card, check, or direct deposit.
- Have various pay rates and schedules make it easy to keep track of employees with different roles.
- The software can handle garnishments
- Custom reporting features let you create reports that fit your needs.
With a prominent way to feature the essential information to users, and the ability to pin them to the top, you’ll never lose track of what needs to be done next.
There’s also an easy-to-access left-hand side menu that lets you quickly navigate to the different areas of the software.
The first month and setup are free.
After that, it costs $36/month as a base fee and $4/month per person on payroll.
What I Like/Dislike About OnPay
- OnPay filing payroll taxes is a big help.
- A fresh modern look and feel to the software make it easy to use.
- The setup is a little confusing, but a wizard system is in place to help.
- Six levels of user permissions give you more control over who can access what.
Best For Reducing Recruitment Workload.
Freshteam requires no introduction to the HR software world, and it is just as good for remote teams as it is for traditional ones.
The user-friendly interface makes it easy to stay on top of all things HR-related, and the ability to create custom reports means you can always get the insights you need as you look into your team’s performance.
With the ability to reduce recruiter workload, you can automate parts of the hiring, onboarding, and performance management processes.
This way, you can focus on the things that matter most and leave the tedious tasks to the software.
You can also use Freshteam to deal with the external job sites that your team uses and keep track of all the applicants in one place.
When it comes to managing your remote team, Freshteam has you covered.
Finally, it can also take care of the screening process for you, so you can focus on interviewing the best candidates.
If you want to manage the various aspects of your remote team’s performance, then Freshteam is an excellent software to consider.
- Keep stakeholders informed of what’s going on in your business with the help of Freshteam.
- Document sharing is easy, allowing you to send and receive documents without worrying about email attachments.
- Easily set up permissions so that you can control who has access to what information.
- The “one glance” feature allows you to quickly see an overview of all the information you need to know about your business.
- Employee self-service is a great way to keep your employees informed about what’s going on.
There are handy features that make using the software a breeze.
For example, you can reply directly to candidates you’re interested in without leaving the software.
The same applies to those that you want to reject.
This makes the remote HR recruitment process much more streamlined.
There are various pricing plans to consider:
- Free: Basic HR for small organizations. This can be used for up to 50 employees.
- Growth: $1.20 employee/month billed monthly + $71 platform fee/month.
- Pro: $2.40/employee/month + $119 platform fee/month.
- Enterprise: $4.80/employee/month + $203 platform fee/month.
What I Like/Dislike About Freshteam
- Relatively straightforward to use.
- Clear UI+UX so that you don’t feel like you’re swimming in a sea of options.
- When adding a new stage to the hiring process, no customization means you have to use one of the existing stages.
- Freshteam is now linked to Checkr, a prominent AI-powered background verification platform to help you verify your candidates even better.
Best For Attracting Top Talent.
Monday makes it easy to find and hire the best talent for your remote team.
With the help of Monday’s AI-powered sourcing tool, you can quickly identify the best candidates for your open positions.
You can also use Monday to keep track of all the applicants in one place and get an overview of your hiring pipeline.
Looking into the day-to-day of your team’s performance is also a breeze with Monday.
Create engaging activities that boost morale and keep your team connected, even when working remotely.
You can also use Monday.com to collect feedback regularly and stay on top of your team’s progress.
If you want to recruit and retain the best talent for your remote team, then Monday is the software for you.
- Build a recruitment pipeline that works for you with the help of Monday.
- You can quickly identify the best candidates for your open positions and keep track of all the applicants in one place.
- Get an overview of your hiring pipeline, and use Monday to collect feedback regularly.
- Ensure your employees’ well-being by creating engaging activities.
- Handle leave requests like a pro, and stay on top of your team’s progress with performance reviews.
Ensure that the recruitment pipeline is running smoothly with the help of Monday’s AI-powered sourcing tool.
The software makes it easy to keep track of all the applicants in one place, with tags such as position, interviewer, status, and interview date.
This makes it easy to identify the best candidates for your open positions quickly.
- Free: $0 for up to 2 seats
- Basic: $8 / seat / month
- Standard: $10 /seat /month
- Pro: $16 /seat / month
- Enterprise: Custom quoted based on the number of seats.
What I Like/Dislike About Monday
- Easy to use and well designed
- Flexible in terms of integration
- Because of Monday’s highly configurable nature, getting the exact look and feel you want comes with a learning curve.
- The emails & activities app is now open to the EU region so that you can keep your team informed about the latest happenings in your company.
- A new column that merges the numeric and timeline functions has been introduced.
Best For Employee Growth.
Hibob is an excellent software if you value employee growth.
With the help of Hibob, you can identify your top performers and give them the recognition they deserve.
You can also use Hibob to create growth plans for your employees, so they can continue to grow in their roles.
Ensure that your employees are more than just a number with the help of Hibob’s engagement features.
With various insights that can help you identify potential issues, Hibob is the perfect software to help you build a successful remote team.
- Hibob’s core HR features include everything you need to manage your employee data.
- Hibob’s Doc Hub is a great way to keep all your essential documents in one place.
- The goals setting module allows you to create development plans for your employees.
- The people directory helps you keep track of all your employees in one place.
- The time and attendance module allows you to track your employees’ time and attendance.
- The workflows module helps you to automate your HR processes.
The ability to see all the people involved in various departments is beneficial in many remote situations.
The design is user-friendly and intuitive, with an evident focus on graphics.
You can also move between various views, including a club view, org chart, insights, etc.
This gives you the view that best suits your needs without feeling like you’re stuck in one place.
Get in touch with Hibob to get custom pricing based on the number of employees involved and your specific needs.
What I Like/Dislike About Hibob
- You can create your onboarding and offboarding workflows to automate your processes.
- Having employee documents all in one place makes it easy to find what you’re looking for.
- More payroll integrations would be helpful.
- You can import a spreadsheet with the currency exchange rates you’re using in your company.
- You can also create more precise, flexible guidelines for planners when scheduling time off.
6. Oracle Cloud HCM.
Best For Cloud HR Software.
Oracle Cloud HCM was built to work well in the cloud.
This means that having a single source of truth for your employee data is now possible.
With the ability to deliver the same top-notch experience irrespective of the device that your employees use, Oracle Cloud HCM is an excellent tool for the remote workforce.
You can also deliver tailored guidance and communication to every employee, which few remote HR software can do.
In addition, it’s easy to use the software in a flexible and adaptable way as your business grows.
- Multichannel HR inquiries can be made through the software no matter what device your employees use.
- HR service request assignment ensures that the right people are working on the proper requests.
- Tailored workflows for automatic routing help you to create workflows that fit your specific needs.
- Contextual collaboration allows you to have all the relevant information at your fingertips when you’re collaborating with others.
- The intuitive knowledge base makes it easy to find answers to your questions.
Chat with them to get custom pricing based on the number of employees and your specific needs.
Best For HR Security.
Rippling is suitable for organizations with anywhere between two to two thousand employees.
With a secure IT cloud built for the modern workplace, Rippling helps you manage your employee’s IT needs from one place.
With powerful features, Rippling is perfect for companies looking to streamline their HR processes.
In addition to security, the ability to customize every aspect of the software to fit your specific needs sets Rippling apart from other remote HR software.
You can also integrate with 500+ apps with the help of Rippling’s integrations.
This means that you can manage all your employee’s data in one place without using multiple software.
- Rippling allows you to generate offer letters and handbooks from within the software, so you don’t have to waste time creating these documents from scratch.
- You can run background checks & e-verify as needed to ensure the authentic identity and background of new employees quickly.
- Enrolling employees in health insurance & 401(k) allows you to easily get your employees in these benefits programs.
- Assigning harassment training ensures that your employees receive the training needed to prevent and handle workplace harassment.
- Setting up the needed apps allows you to quickly and easily give your employees all they need to do their jobs.
You can see Rippling in action in a 30-minute product demo with expert Q&A.
This also allows you to see how much the software costs for your specific needs.
What Are Remote HR Software?
Remote HR software are cloud-based tools that one can access from any internet-connected device.
With the rise in remote working, these tools have become increasingly popular.
They allow HR teams to manage employee files, track employee roles and responsibilities, and other HR-related tasks.
A company with a remote workforce might also deal with international payroll and would find a remote HR solution beneficial.
While the benefits of remote work cannot be disputed, training remote employees brings a host of challenges for the unprepared HR department.
Modern tools are designed to take on these challenges and help manage such employees efficiently.
What Does A Distributed Team Encompass?
The introduction of new technologies has given organizations the ability to connect with employees regardless of their geographical location.
A distributed team is a group of people who work together but are not physically present in the same place.
However, there is no one-size-fits-all definition of a distributed team.
The size, structure, and geographical spread of a distributed team can vary significantly from one organization to the next.
Newer (and more functional) recruiting software, tools for virtual meetings, remote talent acquisition, and performance management systems make managing such a team easier.
The Benefits Of Using Remote HR Software
There are various benefits of using remote HR software.
Let’s have a look at a few of them.
As a global employer, you’re always looking for new ways to increase employee productivity.
Since an increase in productivity brings with it increased profits, it’s no wonder that companies are continuously searching for the latest and greatest productivity-boosting tools.
The good news is that remote HR software can help you achieve that.
HR tools ensure that your employees feel more engaged with their work.
When remote workers can access their files and tools from any location, they can stay connected to their work even when they’re away from the office.
Whether dealing with new hires or managing performance, employee engagement is crucial to the success of any organization.
Improved Work/Life Balance
While time zones can be a challenge, they can also be an opportunity to create a better work/life balance for your employees.
You can easily set up HR meeting times that work for everyone, regardless of their location or time zone with remote HR software.
The pandemic has emphasized the need for a better work/life balance, and remote HR tools can help you provide that for your employees.
Working remotely can help reduce costs for your organization.
There’s no need to rent office space or buy furniture when employees can work from anywhere.
Remote HR tools can also help you save on travel costs by holding virtual meetings instead of in-person ones.
With time tracking features, you can also ensure that employees are working the hours they’re supposed to.
Improved Recruitment And Retention
The process of global expansion can be a challenge, but remote HR software can help streamline the process.
Global HR tech is helping organizations connect with the best talent, regardless of location.
When you can recruit the best talent from anywhere globally while also improving your retention rates and keeping top performers within your organization, the sky is the limit.
From project management to specific initiatives that need to be completed, working remotely provides employees with great flexibility.
And when employees feel like they have more control over their work-life, they’re more likely to be engaged and productive.
For example, an employee who needs to take care of their child during the day can work in the evening, as long as their work gets done.
This type of flexibility is crucial for attracting and retaining top talent.
Improved Employee Morale
Finally, having a global team means considering how different time zones and cultures will impact employee morale.
While this can be a challenge, remote HR software can help streamline the process and make it more efficient.
Examples of how remote HR software can help team morale include:
- Connecting employees with both human resources and other resources they need to be successful
- Allowing employees to share their successes and challenges with their colleagues
- Encouraging collaboration and teamwork among employees
In addition, using HR software to ensure employees are being paid fairly and on time can help improve employee morale.
Features Of A Great Remote HR System
Let’s now look at a few key features of a great remote HR system.
Ease Of Use
The best systems are designed with the non-technical user in mind, and their functions range from adding new employees to managing payroll and invoicing.
The right software should be easy to use and navigate to get up and running quickly.
Support For Global Teams
Real-time support of a global team is crucial for any organization with a remote workforce.
The system should offer support for different time zones and currencies so that you can manage your team effectively, no matter where they’re located.
An applicant tracking system (ATS) is also essential for recruiting and onboarding remote employees.
Whether the HR team needs to do various check-ins to access their files or review upcoming assignments, the system should be mobile responsive.
This way, the right people can use the system from any location and device.
The employee experience of a remote HR system depends on the platform’s security.
When choosing a system, be sure to check that it uses the latest security protocols and has robust user authentication.
Compared to traditional spreadsheets that were painful to use and had several security risks, new remote HR software is much more secure. However, not all software is created equally when it comes to security.
Single Sign-On (SSO)
Having a single sign-on (SSO) system in place is critical.
Only authorized personnel can access the system, and personal data is less likely to be compromised.
Integration With Other Applications
Having an API that allows for integration with other applications is essential.
Firstly, it allows you to automate some of the more tedious tasks associated with HR.
Secondly, it makes it easy to share data with other departments within your organization, such as accounting or marketing.
Implementation And Training Services
When you’re rolling out a new HR system, you want to be sure it’s done right.
Look for a vendor that offers implementation and training services to get the most out of your investment.
Whether through webinars, video tutorials, or in-person training, these services will help you get the most out of your new system while ensuring the right people know how to use them to their full potential.
The best remote HR systems are indispensable to organizations with a remote workforce.
They provide employees with the flexibility and support to be productive and engaged.
When choosing a system, consider the various features that I’ve discussed above.
From ease of use to support for global teams, these features will help you choose the right system for your organization.
Have you used any of the systems on my list?
What was your experience?
I’d love to hear from you in the comments below.
Further reading on AdamEnfroy.com: Do you want to make getting new employees on board as streamlined as possible?
This list of the best onboarding software can help!
In addition, here’s another list of the best enterprise software that is essential for both large and scaling businesses.