7 Best Augmented Reality Software of 2023 (AR Tools Ranked)
Augmented reality is becoming more and more prominent as artificial reality takes over various industries worldwide.
Augmented reality is a view of the real, physical world that can be indirect, direct, or live.
The virtual elements are added by a computer program and can be made even more real through the use of video, GPS data, or even sound.
The development of this AR technology means that as many as 55% of people who took part in an AI-related survey said they use voice assistance to interact with devices that use augmented reality in their homes.
Apart from this, the vast increase of 3D printing software makes the investment in augmented reality technology even more important.
When you consider all of this, it’s no wonder that businesses must embrace this technology and find the right AR software for their needs to remain competitive.
In this article, I will be discussing the best augmented reality software right now.
Amongst other factors, this software has been ranked according to its features, compatibility, and overall usability.
Let’s get right into it.
The following are the best augmented reality software in the market right now.
SketchFab is excellent for managing 3D assets and sharing them with others.
If you want to distribute 3D models and don’t want to use a file format that is specific to one program, SketchFab provides perfect AR solutions.
Ensuring team collaboration is easy, with the ability to share and showcase 3D models in one place.
It also works with all operating systems, making it one of the most popular augmented reality software.
One can embed the configurator through an HTML tag directly on any online property as needed, allowing easy access to the right people.
- From low-poly assets to animated rigs & digital scans for their projects, those interested in 3D and augmented reality will find a lot to love on SketchFab.
- Preview model topology, UVs, and textures in real-time so that you can make better decisions before you export.
- Get access to a physically based rendering toolset to create realistic materials.
- Set up materials, lighting, audio, animation, and more in your scenes.
- Publish and share interactive 3D models on the web that work on any device.
There are three pricing plans as follows:
- Basic: Free
- Pro: $15 per month billed yearly
- Premium: $79 per month billed yearly
ARKit allows you to use geolocation anchors for cities, businesses, landmarks, and more.
ARKit is perfect for creating experiences that blend the digital and physical worlds into a virtual world with realistic graphics and sound.
With prominent places that come as part of the package, including various cities worldwide, one can use ARKit to create location-based augmented reality experiences.
There are also land features that can be detected using ARKit, creating engaging augmented reality experiences.
One can use landmarks such as Times Square, the London Eye, and more to create an interactive experience that tourists or locals can use.
With the latest version of ARKit supporting even better motion tracking and face tracking on the iPad Pro, it is clear that this will be one of the top augmented reality software shortly.
- ARKit blends digital and virtual objects and information with the environment around you, making it possible to create rich and engaging experiences.
- Expanded Face Tracking support so you can now track up to three faces at a time.
- Depth API gives you access to the distance of objects in the real world.
- Instant AR allows for quick plane detection, perfect for those who want to get started quickly without having to scan their environment.
- Make use of the front and back cameras at the same time to create even more immersive experiences and AR interactions.
You’ll need to have an Apple Developer account to access this product.
Kudan provides a professional AR SDK perfect for developing augmented reality applications.
With the support for markerless tracking, Kudan is one of the top augmented reality software in the market.
With the SDK providing high-speed usage, it is perfect for developing augmented reality applications.
It is compatible with iOS and Android devices and integrates with Unity plugins.
This makes it an excellent choice for those who want to develop cross-platform augmented reality applications.
In addition, there’s no need for users to have the latest mobile devices – this solution even works with older models.
This is made possible by using a hardware-agnostic algorithm, which makes it perfect for developing augmented reality applications and distributing them to a broad market.
- Through the Simultaneous Localization and Mapping (SLAM) algorithm, Kudan can help the devices it runs on to understand spatial and cubic relationships.
- Map an environment in real-time and track any changes that occur.
- Compatible with Unity plugins as well as iOS and Android devices.
- Kudan features a CV SDK, where developers can enable tracking without rendering.
There is a free production license available to get started. After that, the pricing plans are as follows:
- Production License (AR Business): $1,500/year
- Production License (AR Enterprise): Contact their team for more information.
Wikitude allows you to create cutting-edge augmented reality experiences for personal and commercial use.
Wikitude believes that enhancing the world around us using state-of-the-art technology is the key to the future, which is why they allow developers to leverage CAD data, 3D models, and more to create augmented reality experiences.
In addition, they also have a wide range of features that are perfect for those who want to create more interactive applications.
It is easy for those unfamiliar with coding to get started with drag-and-drop functions.
This means that the AR game is no longer restricted to those with coding skills.
With reliable product creation since 2008, Wikitude is one of the top augmented reality software for those who want to create suitable applications in this market.
- CMS integration allows for the easy addition of media files into an augmented reality scene, such as images and videos.
- Internal server infrastructure for those who want to privately create and manage AR content.
- Drag-and-drop functions make it easy for those unfamiliar with coding to get started.
- Programmatic & local target collection (and generation) for dynamic content allows for the use of target points.
The following are the four pricing plans on offer:
- Pro 3D (SDK updates not included): €2490 one-time fee.
- Pro 3D (SDK updates included): €2990 per year.
- Cloud: €4490 per year.
- Enterprise: custom prices as needed.
ARCore is Google’s answer to Apple’s ARKit and helps developers create augmented reality experiences for its users.
As Google owns ARCore, it has a vast reach concerning devices and capabilities.
With various APIs available for use, ARCore can use the phone to sense its surroundings and overlay digital content onto it.
Interacting with the environment is as simple as pointing the camera phone (whether an iPhone or an Android) at it.
This gives developers some great functionality when it comes to the way people shop, play, learn, create, and collaborate.
With light estimation being one of the three main features of ARCore, it is possible to create realistic shadows and lighting for your augmented reality scenes, making them that much more real.
In addition, ARCore can build up its meaning and definition of the world the more it’s used, allowing for a seamless experience for the user.
- Detects horizontal surfaces using the camera sensor.
- Estimates the position of the phone in space by detecting feature points.
- Calibrates lighting to make it look more natural.
- Use all its core features to build entirely new AR experiences or enhance existing ones.
ARCore is a free solution.
If you’re looking for a solution chosen by more than a million developers, Vuforia Engine is a good bet.
High-quality AR experiences are made possible by using computer vision and artificial intelligence, making it possible to track objects in real-time.
Vuforia Engine offers the advanced technology needed to create high-quality AR experiences that are reliable and scalable.
If you want to take your sales and marketing teams to the next level, Vuforia Engine can help with that.
The Vuforia model works by allowing you to develop for free and only purchase when you are ready to deploy.
This makes it easy for those unsure about augmented reality, allowing them to test the waters before diving in.
- Unparalleled accuracy with Vuforia Engine makes it one of the leading AR platforms for detailed tracking and object recognition.
- Vuforia Studio helps create, manage, and deploy augmented reality experiences quickly.
- Works in a variety of environments and use cases.
- Using both native and leading development platforms, it is easy to get started with Vuforia Engine.
- With multiple devices and operating systems supported, it is one of the most versatile augmented reality development platforms.
You’ll have to schedule a demo to find out the pricing.
FactoryTalk Software allows you to create great AR experiences with a seamless integration for the user.
It has been designed with ease of use in mind, making it possible for those interested in this technology to get started.
In addition, when it comes to compliance and safety risks, this platform is one of the best in ensuring that all measures are met.
Whether you want to improve efficiency, increase workforce productivity, or even up your customer satisfaction in real-time, FactoryTalk might be the answer you need.
With step-by-step work instructions, it is possible to create augmented reality applications that are both interactive and intuitive.
- Connect the physical and digital world through the use of IoT data.
- Easily create AR experiences with detailed instructions that guide you along the way.
- Efficiently train new workers and service technicians with AR training.
- Web-based quoting and license management allow you to get up and running quickly and easily.
- Access to all software updates ensures that you always have the latest features and functionality.
- Their pay-as-you-go model gives you the flexibility to scale your deployment as needed.
You’ll have to create an account to access their exact fees and prices.
Other augmented reality software not mentioned in this article include Webar and Spark AR.
Augmented reality software (known as AR software) is a type of computer software that blends digital content with the user’s real-world environment.
AR software is used to create augmented reality experiences, which one can use for various purposes – including entertainment, education, and business.
In addition, using an augmented reality platform will allow you to develop AR experiences that one can use on various devices, including smartphones, tablets, and head-mounted displays.
Most augmented reality platforms also come with development tools that allow you to create and manage your AR experiences easily.
The improvement of AR technology means that more and more businesses are starting to use augmented reality to increase efficiency, productivity, and sales.
Augmented reality tools are also being used more frequently in the education sector to help students learn in a new and interactive way.
The popularity of augmented reality is only set to grow in the years to come, so it’s essential to make sure that you are using the best AR software available.
Virtual reality and augmented reality are still in their (relatively) early days, so there are many opportunities for companies to use them to increase productivity and efficiency.
Augmented reality AR apps can help businesses in several ways, including:
- Increasing efficiency and productivity: By providing employees with AR tools, businesses can help them to be more efficient and productive.
- Enhancing customer experience: Augmented reality can provide customers with a more interactive and engaging experience throughout their customer lifecycle.
- Training new employees: AR apps can train new employees and help with their onboarding, ensuring they immediately get started on the right foot.
The benefits of using augmented reality are clear, and businesses should start to explore the long-term possibilities that AR apps offer.
The following are some of the most popular tools needed to create augmented reality experiences:
- AR headsets: A device that is used to view augmented reality experiences. This can include sound as well.
- AR platform: A platform used to create and manage the whole augmented reality experience.
- AR development tools: Tools that are used to develop augmented reality experiences. Developers typically use these to create the right solutions.
- Smart glasses: A wearable device used to view augmented reality experiences. Microsoft Hololens is one of the most popular sets of smart glasses around.
Augmented reality SDK (software development kit) is a set of tools to develop augmented reality experiences.
Most augmented reality platforms come with their SDK, making it easy to develop AR apps.
In addition, an AR device is required to test out apps as part of augmented reality experiences.
The right developers can combine all the necessary elements to create a successful AR mobile app.
When looking for developers to create AR apps, it is essential to ensure that they have experience in augmented reality and are familiar with the tools and platforms you are using.
A complete augmented reality toolkit contains the following:
- An AR platform: This is used to create and manage augmented reality experiences.
- AR development tools: These are used to develop augmented reality experiences.
- A library of assets: This includes 3D models, textures, and audio files.
- A testing environment: This is used to test augmented reality experiences.
- Documentation and tutorials: This provides information on using the AR platform and development tools.
An augmented reality toolkit is a great way to develop augmented reality experiences. It contains everything you need to get started, and it is easy to use.
If you are looking for a way to get started in augmented reality, then a toolkit is the best way to go.
The following are some of the industries that are using augmented reality:
- Retail: Retailers use augmented reality to provide customers with a more interactive and engaging experience when shopping.
- Automotive: Automotive companies use augmented reality to show customers how their products work.
- Education: Educational institutions use augmented reality to help students learn in a new and interactive way.
- Entertainment: Entertainment companies use augmented reality to create new and immersive experiences for their audiences.
- Healthcare: Augmented reality is being used to provide patients with more information about their health and help doctors with surgery.
- E-commerce: E-commerce companies use augmented reality to provide customers with a more interactive and engaging experience when shopping, highlighting everything potential customers need to know about the products they’re interested in buying.
3D objects are 3-dimensional models that can be used in augmented reality.
One can use them to create 3D scenes and environments, as well as 3D models of people and objects.
You need a 3D engine, a graphics library, and an SDK to create augmented reality apps.
The 3D engine is used to render 3D scenes and objects.
The graphics library is used to display 2D images and text.
The SDK is used to communicate with the AR device.
Open source means that the source code is available to everyone. It can be modified and distributed by anyone and is typically free for anyone to use.
Yes, one can use AR for remote assistance.
This means that it can help technicians troubleshoot problems and guide customers through tasks.
The combination of AR/VR remote assistance and artificial intelligence has already created a new level of customer service, which will continue to improve in the future.
Many workflows can be implemented as SaaS.
One example is the use of AR to visualize data.
One can use this reality as a service to improve the understanding of data by customers and employees.
Another example is the use of AR to improve training.
AR can create virtual environments that allow employees to learn tasks in a safe, controlled environment.
Yes, Pokemon GO is an example of augmented reality.
It is a game that uses the camera and GPS on the user’s device to overlay creatures and objects onto the real world.
Augmented and virtual reality use mobile phones and AR applications to bring the virtual world closer to the real one.
It is the next step after using applications on our phones in the traditional way.
The opportunities for virtual and augmented reality are endless, and businesses should start to explore the possibilities that both of these technologies offer.
If your business wants to increase efficiency, productivity, and sales, you should consider building your own virtual and augmented reality apps.
Combining mixed reality, virtual reality, and augmented reality can change how your business operates.
To recap, the best augmented reality software right now are:
- SketchFab: Best overall for augmented reality.
- ARKit: Best for using geolocation in AR.
- Kudan: Best for Unity integration.
Have you ever used an augmented reality app?
If so, what did you think of it?
Would you ever use augmented reality in your business?
Let me know in the comments below.
Further reading on AdamEnfroy.com: Want to learn more about virtual tools to enhance your business and the experience it offers customers?
Check out my list of the best virtual conference platforms that allow you to connect with people all over the globe.
In addition, here’s a list of the best virtual tour software to help you get started with creating virtual tours of your business or property.