7 Best PEO Companies of 2023 (List of Providers Ranked)
Choosing the best PEO companies is vitally important if you want to have a smooth HR experience. From maintaining payroll compliance to saving time and money on employee management, the best PEO companies can help you meet your goals. In this guide, I ranked and reviewed the 7 best PEO companies, so that you can pick the best one for you.
ADP PEO is the best overall PEO company. It gives you all the advantages of a large company with the personal touch of a small business.
Amplify PEO is a full-service provider that has been around for quite some time and is happy to work with businesses in all industries and of all sizes.
OysterHR is the modern, globalized platform that HR team and personnel use to track, manage and optimize their workforce while hiring the right people.
CoAdvantage to have some of the best team-building tools and services in the industry to help identify top performers for candidates and your team.
VentureHR offers insurance options (healthcare, disability, life, and everything else) as well as standard retirement options through a partnership with Slavic 401k.
We’re reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you’re reading this, you are either a business owner, manager, or HR professional who is interested in what a professional employer organization can offer your company and its employees, or someone looking to switch from their current PEO company.
What is a PEO?
A PEO is a professional employer organization that you can generally enter into a co-employment agreement with so that the PEO and its HR experts can manage payroll processing and other common human resources tasks for you. They are extremely common and popular, serving hundreds of millions of employees and thousands of businesses.
PEO services may include effectively processing health benefits like dental and vision insurance, workers’ comp, payroll employee benefits, PTO, compliance-assistance, HR management, HR solutions, customer support, and more.
What to Look for from a PEO
In case you are new to PEOs, there are plenty of differences between them, and understand these are key to making the right decision for your company. While there are plenty of minute details you can look into, we recommend focusing on the following key items:
Price is a difficult thing to judge when pricing is highly variable among PEO companies, but some PEO companies will certainly be cheaper than others for small businesses (perhaps even significantly so).
Get a quote from all the PEO companies on your shortlist and consider the long-term as well as the short term. Pricing may be either a flat rate per employee, a percentage of your payroll, or based on the company size.
Benefits and Offerings
While you will get payroll services and the rest of the basics, what else do you have in mind for PEO services? Are there enough employee benefits options so that all your employees will be satisfied? Are these benefits competitive? Benefits affect retention, so you should consider this carefully.
PEO service providers can promise the world and the best PEO services, but can it deliver?
Are they able to provide human resource administrative services without delay or without problems?
Based on what you can find in reviews and reports from other clients, are all promises met? Information here might be imperfect, but the more research you can do, the better. You should also look for ESAC accreditation.
Minimums and Requirements
Your small business may not be large enough in terms of payroll or number of employees for some PEO companies. For example, there is a five or ten-employee minimum for several of the best PEO providers on the list below, and pricing will be affected, perhaps to a prohibitive degree.
Conversely, it is also a possibility that a PEO company does not have the capability to work with a business that is large compared with what they are used to. While these PEO companies will certainly want to work with you for the potential revenue, you probably could do better elsewhere.
If something goes wrong with your PEO arrangement or the online tools you are using, things can get overly complicated or problematic if they aren’t resolved promptly. For that reason, good customer service, HR consulting, and employee self-service are must-haves.
Online Tools and Portals
Somewhat related to customer service, you should try to take a look at the online tools and portals your top PEO solutions use, to see if you like the interface and if all the features you want (and some you didn’t know you wanted) are there.
What Are the Best PEO Companies?
Here is my vetted list of the best PEO companies.
1. ADP PEO.
Looking for the best PEO company? My best overall recommendation goes to ADP PEO. You’ll get great customer service and a partner who really cares about your success. Also, ADP has all the right tools and resources to help you grow your business.
ADP PEO gives you all the advantages of a large company with the personal touch of a small business.
If you’re looking for a partnership that will provide you with the best in HR consulting and customer service, ADP is a great option.
When it comes to various company departments, ADP is able to offer a wide range of services and benefits, including the ability to attract and retain top talent.
If your business needs to stay on top of ever-changing compliance regulations, ADP is also a great choice to consider.
With data-driven insights and innovative technologies, ADP will always be on the lookout for ways to improve your HR experience.
This allows you to use their HR specialists to focus on your business strategy and the day-to-day operations of your company.
With nationwide capability and several years of experience, ADP is a great choice for businesses of all sizes.
- Give employees access to the answers they need, when they need them.
- Offer world-class benefits that attract and retain top talent.
- Dedicated support from real people, when you need it.
- Data-driven strategies to help you make the most of your workforce.
- HR expertise to help you navigate the ever-changing world of HR.
With both a desktop and a mobile app that is optimized for both iOS and Android devices, ADP PEO offers a great user experience for employees who need to access their information on the go.
The interface is clean and easy to navigate, with all the important information front and center.
Employees can look at all the benefits that are available to them, request time off, check your pay stubs, and more.
What I Like/Dislike About ADP PEO:
- An excellent range of features means that employees can always find the answers they need when they need them.
- Dedicated support specialists are always available to help with any questions or concerns you may have. This is especially helpful if you’re not familiar with all the
- Software can be difficult to navigate if you’ve never used something similar before.
- The time tracking and employee scheduling features are also paid add-ons
Get started with ADP PEO.
2. Amplify PEO.
Team safety is a priority for any business. That’s why I recommend Amplify PEO as a comprehensive suite of safety services, from online training to on-site consultation. They understand that not every business is the same, so they offer customizable plans that can be tailored to fit the specific needs of each client.
Our second choice for businesses and an all-in-one PEO service we think most businesses should at least take a look at, Amplify PEO is a full-service provider that has been around for quite some time and is happy to work with businesses in all industries and of all sizes.
Benefits options and related services are highly competitive, and employees will be able to enjoy dental, medical, and vision benefits if they so choose, and you can trust that there are competitive retirement options for your employees as well.
If you are worried about risk management and workplace safety, there are safety reviews on offer and workers’ compensation support, so you can focus more easily on other matters.
If you’re wondering what makes them the cream of the crop, that would be their excellent attention to customer service, which is some of the best in the industry for a larger company and allows you to work with a company that will take the individual needs of your business into account.
Complaints are rare about their service team, and those smooth interactions make Amplify much easier to work with than many competitors. You will be talking to a human being when you have a problem.
In terms of the usual services such as payroll support and HR administration, there are no issues we could find whatsoever. Everyone will get what they need in a timely manner.
The main thing that might give you pause if you are thinking of working with them is that Amplify PEO does not always have the specialized features that other providers might have, depending on your industry. If you know you need a more niche PEO, then it’s still the best one to look for.
- Employers can schedule pay, hire and fire workers, generate reports, and much more.
- Employees may examine their paystubs, enroll in benefits, request PTO, and more.
- One HR platform that is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Collaborate and communicate on a global scale with cloud-based all-in-one human resources technology platforms.
Allow your employees to choose the benefits they want and enroll in them with a few clicks.
You can then generate reports to see which benefits are the most popular and make changes accordingly.
This can all be done while ensuring that compliance rules are being followed.
What I Like/Dislike About Amplify PEO:
- Cost-effective PEO services so you can focus on your business
- Full-service PEO options to deliver a comprehensive HR solution
- Cloud-based HR portal so you can access your information anywhere, anytime
- Difficult to find pricing and plan options when you first visit the website.
OysterHR allows teams to both hire and thrive through the use of their innovative HR software. It provides an intuitive platform that allows managers to quickly onboard new employees, manage employee data, and track performance. This makes it easier for teams to stay organized and efficient with their staffing processes.
Yes – Save 17%
OysterHR offers a modern, globalized experience for both HR personnel and team members that is sure to be appreciated.
With wide-reaching access to top talent around the world and legal guidance tailored towards each country’s regulations, you’ll find the right people and meet compliance needs with ease.
OysterHR offers services not just for employers, but also for individual employees.
For employers, you can use the platform to find qualified candidates from around the globe.
Additionally, you will have access to legal guidance regarding each country’s employment regulations as well as insurance options tailored towards each region’s specific needs.
For individual employees, OysterHR provides self-service tools that allow them more control over their activities.
They can set up their own profiles, manage their tasks and deadlines, receive feedback from colleagues or supervisors in real-time, and track performance metrics more easily than ever before.
- Time off management helps your team stay productive and organized by allowing them to manage their vacation days, sick days, and other leaves.
- Recruiting management makes it easy for you to find qualified job applicants from around the world and set up interviews quickly.
- Performance appraisal allows you to rate employee performance in a systematic way with objective criteria so that team members can get feedback on their progress.
- Payroll management helps you quickly and accurately process employee payments.
- Onboarding gives you a streamlined way to introduce new hires to the company, provide key information, and set expectations regarding their roles.
- The employee database stores important information about each team member in one centralized location so that everyone has easy access.
Setting up an OysterHR account is easy and straightforward.
You can get started in minutes and customize your account to fit your needs. With the intuitive UI, you’ll be able to quickly find what you need without getting bogged down by unnecessary details.
What I Like/Dislike About OysterHR:
- With their free version, you can understand how it works and start taking advantage of its features without committing to a paid subscription.
- The system offers legal and compliance protection, making it easier for employers to stay up-to-date with global regulations.
- For small businesses, the prices for scaling up might be too high.
4. CoAdvantage PEO.
A good team can make or break a business, and the right team-building tools and services can help you identify your top performers. If that sounds like something that your business needs, I advise you to check out CoAdvantage. As one of the best PEO companies out there, they have proven team-building services to help you identify top performers and inspire others to be like them.
Growing rapidly and based in Florida, CoAdvantage is the PEO company operating under the larger Morgan Stanley structure.
They have several decades of experience helping businesses just like yours get everything they need to thrive and allow employees to get all the benefits they need, and you can trust that they will be dedicated to making your team the best it can be.
They also operate in all 50 states, so all will be handled easily no matter where your staffing takes you.
Yet how can they help your business build the best team? We found CoAdvantage to have some of the best team building tools and services in the industry, and because of the information they can help you get, you will be able to identify top performers in your business and the top potential candidates for new positions.
The time saved on the hiring process is worth a great deal. And as might be expected, onboarding is relatively simple for new employees and managers alike.
However, the above is not to say that their standard services such as payroll management and benefits administration are lacking.
That is far from the case, and all the normal options are available. It may not have the top marks in other specialized areas outside of teambuilding, but your priorities might line up with CoAdvantage’s strengths.
- HR Technology provides a comprehensive, cloud-based human resource management system that automates and simplifies HR processes.
- Risk & Compliance protects your business with a suite of compliance tools and resources.
- Payroll ensures accurate and timely payments to employees.
If you want to get detailed reports and insights into your human resources data, CoAdvantage PEO is a great option.
The software provides a comprehensive, cloud-based HR management system that automates and simplifies HR processes.
When it comes to payroll, CoAdvantage PEO ensures accurate and timely payments to employees.
What I Like/Dislike About CoAdvantage PEO:
- Views can be detailed or summarized so to get a broad or specific view of the information.
- The user platform was easy to navigate and find what I was looking for without having to search through different tabs.
- There are instances where you have to reach out to their support to fix an issue or to figure out how to do something because it is not always clear.
If you’re a small business that’s looking for a comprehensive PEO solution, I’d suggest checking out VentureHR. They have a wide range of services and their team is very knowledgeable and helpful. With the possibility of offering 401k’s and other benefits to your employees, they can really help take your business to the next level.
Our next pick is VensureHR, which is an equally strong choice if you have a smaller business, given that VensureHR seems to specialize in them. They will work with just about any company, no matter how small, making them stand out if you only have a few employees and do not want to deal with the restrictions or additional expenses that would otherwise be encountered.
Services provided include everything you might expect, including insurance options (healthcare, disability, life, and everything else) as well as standard retirement options through a partnership with Slavic 401k.
You as the employer will have the options to adjust the exact parameters of benefits packages so that you do not overextend your business’ resources.
Customer service does not reach the high standards set by Amplify PEO, but you can expect that Vensure HR will get the job done.
Pricing will depend on the exact specifications of your business and what plans you want, but VensureHR might also be one of the most affordable companies on this list, with pay-as-you-go workers’ compensation plans and options for different services and benefits. It’s more customizable than you might think and your business may need just that.
However, given how VensureHR is best for smaller businesses, it might not be the best option for larger ones looking for HR software, HR services, or HR outsourcing.
- VensureHR is a comprehensive human resources management system that helps organizations manage employee data, performance, and benefits. The software includes modules for payroll, time and attendance tracking, recruiting, and talent management. VensureHR also offers a mobile app for iOS and Android devices.
- The risk management module helps organizations identify and manage risks associated with their business operations. The module includes tools for assessing risks, developing mitigation plans, and tracking progress.
- The employee benefits module helps organizations manage employee benefit programs. The module includes tools for enrolling employees in benefits programs, tracking eligibility, and managing claims.
With applications that work on all types of devices, VensureHR is easily accessible to employees and managers.
The software is intuitive and easy to use, with a clean interface that makes navigating the various modules straightforward.
If you value having information on the go, VensureHR’s mobile or tablet app is a great option.
The app allows you to view your employee data, performance reviews and benefits information from your on-the-go device.
What I Like/Dislike About VensureHR:
- Product offerings cover everything you need so a business is not cobbling together multiple products to make a full solution
- No specific high-end, exotic option since there is a more general approach.
6. Resourcing Edge.
Resourcing Edge, having been in business since 2003 and with clients in 44 states (and they don’t seem like they are going to stop there), is a PEO service that is perfect for small business owners and startups looking to take advantage of training options for employees and themselves.
Services provided are as expected, including the usual payroll administration, HR support, and reasonable employee benefits packages so that employees should be satisfied.
Yet we won’t focus on that here (there is little that stands out, just note that there is nothing terribly wrong with the offerings) and instead focus on the excellent training options and the safety programs on offer.
Out of our top selections, Resourcing Edge is the choice if you consider employee training and development and getting help staying on top of safety and risk management most important.
To pair with those training options, users will likely be pleased with the wide and excellent array of employee benefits available to them (if you make them so). Resourcing Edge has plenty of partners, and it shows in how much improvement in the lives of your employees you can make.
Their pricing plans can vary from business to business, so we recommend that you take great care and ask for a quote as soon as you can if you are interested in their services.
They are a smaller company of about 100-150 employees (this is small compared with other providers), so this is another case where you should make sure they are large enough that your business can be taken care of. Small businesses should have no difficulties, however.
- Direct deposit, live checks and paycards so you can get paid your way
- Online data management and real-time detailed reporting for greater control and visibility
- Garnishment and deduction administration to help you stay compliant
- General ledger uploads for seamless accounting integration
- Online access via re360 for managers and employees so everyone can stay connected to the latest information
Their PEO services are entirely web-based, so you can use them from anywhere, at any time.
And if you ever have any questions or need help, their team is always just a phone call away.
This general solution is a great fit for businesses of all sizes across a wide range of industries.
What I Like/Dislike About Resourcing Edge:
- Excellent and personalized customer service helps you get the most out of your account.
- A wide variety of partners ensures that you can find the best fit for your business.
- No specialization in certain areas means that you might not have everything you need in one place.
Rounding out our list is Insperity, which while last here should absolutely not escape your consideration. Long-lasting (it has been in business for more than 30 years) and serving millions of employees over more than 100,000 businesses, it is one of the largest PEOs you can find and able to work with even the largest businesses.
Yet despite this, it is surprisingly flexible in its offerings to companies, and Insperity can help your company whether you are looking for just the most basic of service packages or something far more complex and robust for your business. Value is key when picking a PEO, and Insperity can provide just that: no wasted value.
If you are interested in Insperity for your business, then we recommend getting a quote from them alongside any others and that you start making more direct comparisons based on the specific needs and resources of your business.
They do charge on a per-employee basis, making them a better option for small businesses. They are also generally easy to cancel, requiring only a 30-day notice. If you just want to trial a PEO, they might be the best choice.
In short, Insperity is reliable, adaptive, and able to scale with your business easily. If you do not know where to go and our other recommendations are not a good fit, they should be able to help you.
Out of this list of the best PEO service providers, we found that most people should start their search with Amplify PEO and work their way down. However, that is not to say that Amplify is the perfect option for everyone.
Some businesses require a PEO that has a more personalized touch, and others will want something more focused on either smaller (like VensureHR) or larger businesses. Some instead might want to prioritize specific features and specialized PEO services.
Therefore, we find most direct comparisons and strong evaluations unnecessary if not counterproductive, but we do hope that you have a better idea of what you would be getting into with each provider, as comparisons can still be made if you have a clear goal.
Other PEO providers not yet reviewed for this list include TriNet, Justworks, Paychex, Oasis Outsourcing, and ADP TotalSource.
PEO Companies FAQ
Do you still have questions about how to best set up your arrangement with a PEO, how everything works, or how you can get the most out of your arrangement? If so, please read the following:
As a general rule, yes, although the specifics will certainly vary based on the PEO company you want to work with and in some cases the plans and benefits you want to sign up for.
You will want to ask questions and read the fine print to determine just how long your company will be on the hook for. Year-long contracts are common, and multi-year contracts do exist as well.
If you are concerned about this, you may want to choose a provider that allows you to cancel on short notice without penalty, or one that effectively allows for a trial period.
Not unless you want them to, no. While payroll processing will likely be handled by the PEO now, how you want to run your company will still be up to you. Whatever organization you partner with is not going to come in and make changes and recommendations unless you ask them to or if what is currently going on breaks regulations that they might be responsible for.
You should be able to go over everything with your PEO during the onboarding stages or before you agree to anything.
Your employees might experience some changes during the onboarding process. Much of the answer to this question lies in how things were done prior to the PEO coming on board. They will likely need to get used to a few new procedures, but not much that will affect their average working day.
If there is a benefit offered to employees, there is a PEO that can help you set it up. Some of the most common benefits offered include various retirement plans of various types, investment opportunities, and health insurance plans (medical, dental, and vision). Some might even offer discounts that are common retailers for employees, certain rewards programs, life insurance, regulatory compliance services, worker’s compensation insurance, and development programs.
There really are not many limits on what is possible.
Other PEO services offered are more for the benefit of the employer, and can include workers’ compensation support, workplace safety and OSHA compliance support (among related services), employee handbooks, employee training software in a wide array of fields, and even human resources support. Some additional benefits and services can cost extra, but you can make these decisions on a case-by-case basis with most PEOs.
This is another question that is answered with “it depends”, although there will almost certainly be an online portal to work with and several means to contact your provider if you would rather directly speak to a human. How easy that is depends on the PEO, and there may or may not be a dedicated contact, but there will always be a way to get your questions answered or to have appropriate adjustments made.
You may also be able to make simple requests for changes online without contacting the PEO, or some things might require a more in-depth touch. Again, it all depends on who you work with.
How Do You Get the Most from Your PEO?
While you will almost certainly want to consult with your point of contact from the PEO company, doing the following now and during the onboarding process (and beyond) will allow you to make the most of the services you are paying for:
- Read everything related to your PEO carefully. Options that you gloss over today might be relevant tomorrow. Adjustments you did not think possible might in fact be just so, but just require calling the right person. It can be a bit of work, but it is worthwhile for either you or a trusted associate.
- You will almost certainly be able to upgrade your services down the line, or even switch providers once the first contract term ends. Do not get decision paralysis now, nor overdo it on services you may not use at this time. Most plans are at least somewhat adaptable, your business should be adaptable, and you should always be on the lookout for a better plan or provider.
- While some PEOs might be cheaper, do not measure everything as a simple cost. Those cheaper PEOs might not provide nearly as much value for your dollar and allow you to do the most with your time. Money is not the only resource you have to manage.
- We recommend not suddenly thrusting the news of a new PEO on employees, leaving them with a bunch of emails and pamphlets, and expecting them to make the most of things.
- In the United States, understand how PEOs and PEO clients work with the IRS, tax administration, and tax filings. There may be opportunities like training programs available for things like payroll tax, employee leasing, on-boarding new-hires, etc.
There are dozens of significant PEO companies not listed here, if not more. And while you can certainly sort through them, we strongly believe that the best PEO companies for your business needs are listed above.
Not every option will be a good fit, but take note of your priorities, notice what will be best for your employees, and you should be able to make your decision quickly enough and correctly. We hope that the above information was helpful to you and that you return to this article as needed throughout the process.